Many Santa Clarita, CA homeowners have never taken a close look at their homeowner’s insurance policy, and probably don’t know everything it covers – the premium, deductible, and the limits of coverage both for the structure and belongings inside getting all the attention. If your house is damaged by a storm or catches on fire, you expect that to be covered by your WPL Insurance Services policy, same as if a drunk driver crashed their SUV into your dining room or if burglars hauled away all of your electronics. But aside from the typical types of claims that your homeowner’s policy covers, there are other unusual events that your current policy probably includes.
- Food spoilage – Power outages are often caused by weather-related events such as rain, lightning, high winds, ice storms, or flooding, all damages covered by your insurance policy. When the power goes out due to a major storm, you may often have spoiled food in your refrigerator, freezer, and pantry. When a weather event produces a blackout that causes damage to your home, it makes sense to look into including spoiled food in your claim.
- Trees, plants, and grass – Curb appeal is important, so how would you feel if someone drove their car over your pristine turf or mowed down your favorite tree? Landscaping can be expensive, so it can pay off to find out if yard damage is covered by your home insurance.
- Defamation – Not everyone gets along with their neighbors. Nastiness may begin as a few unkind words tossed over the fence, but can often escalate into accusations of defamation and a civil suit. If you are accused of defamation, check out whether your homeowner’s policy will cover your defense.
- Dorm Room Burglary – If you’re a Santa Clarita, CA homeowner with college-aged children, you’ll be happy to know that your home insurance policy may cover the theft of their belongings when they’re away at school. There may be age restrictions for this coverage, and may only include protection for on-campus housing.
- Wild Animal Damage – An animal stampede might seem like an unlikely peril, but it’s more of a risk than you might think. Imagine what a family of raccoons could do in your attic, what a bear might do to your enclosed porch, or a herd of deer could do to your favorite rose bushes. Coverage generally does not include damage caused by pets or domesticated animals.
Do you know everything your homeowner’s insurance policy covers? Give WPL Insurance Services a call today and find out.